Register for the STAR credit
The STAR Registration application is unavailable due to scheduled system upgrades
We’re converting to a new STAR Registration application with exciting upgrades; the expanded application will be available on Tuesday, May 30. The enhancements will allow us to process credits faster and mail checks to eligible homeowners sooner. Thank you for your patience; we look forward to offering you an even more user-friendly experience.
Why you should register
The Basic and Enhanced STAR benefits save most New York homeowners hundreds of dollars. If you’re eligible, you’ll receive a check for the amount of your STAR savings.
Who should register
You should register for STAR if you:
- bought your home after the 2015 STAR application deadline;
- never applied for the STAR benefit on your primary residence; or
- received a letter advising you to register for Basic STAR.
Note: You do not need to register for STAR if you are receiving a STAR exemption and purchased your current home prior to May 1, 2014.
How to register
When you register for the STAR credit, the Tax Department will automatically review your application to determine whether you are eligible for the Basic or Enhanced STAR benefit amount.
Complete your registration online—in minutes. You'll need to:
- Provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and their spouses.
- Answer a few questions about the income and residency of the owners and their spouses.
- Provide the date you purchased your property and the name of the sellers.
Note: You will be prompted to provide your property’s STAR code and parcel ID but they are not required to complete the registration.