Check your refund status online 24/7!
Check your refund status online 24/7!
- Select the tax year for the refund status you want to check.
- Enter your Social Security number.
- Choose the form you filed from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the amount of the New York State refund you requested. See Refund amount requested to learn how to locate this amount.
Para español, llámenos al 518-457-5149—oprima el dos.
Tax Department response to spread of coronavirus
The New York State Tax Department is responding to the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) as it affects taxpayers. See Tax Department response to novel coronavirus (COVID-19) for resources and FAQs.
Understanding your refund status
As you track the status of your return, you'll see some or all of the steps highlighted below. For more information about your status and for troubleshooting tips, see Understanding your refund status.
Want more information about refunds? See these resources:
We do not have any information about your return at this time. E-filed returns could take one week to post to our system; mailed returns can take up to three weeks to post to our system. If you e-filed, check your email, tax software or tax preparer to ensure it has been accepted.
This refund status will continue to display until your return posts to our system; then you will get an updated status.
We have received your return and it is being processed. No further information is available at this time.
This is a general processing status. Unless your return is selected for additional review, or we request additional information, this will be your status throughout processing until we schedule an issue date and update your status at that time. While your return is in this stage, our Call Center representatives have no further information available to assist you. As your refund status changes, this message will automatically update in our automated phone system, our online Check your refund status application, and in the account information available to our representatives.
We received your return and may require further review. This may result in your New York State return taking longer to process than your federal return. No further information is available at this time.
Once we receive your return and begin to process it, our automated processing system scans it for any errors or signs of fraud. Depending on the result of that scan, we may need to manually review it. This status may update to processing again, or you may receive a request for additional information. Your return may remain in this stage for an extended period of time to allow us to review. Once you return to the processing stage, your return may be selected for additional review before completing processing.
When we issue a refund, we will deliver one of the following messages.
- Your return has been processed. A direct deposit of your refund is scheduled to be issued on (date mm/dd/yyyy). If your refund is not credited to your account within 15 days of this date, check with your bank to find out if it has been received. If it’s been more than 15 days since your direct deposit issue date and you haven’t received it yet, see Direct deposit troubleshooting tips.
- Your refund check is scheduled to be mailed on (mm/dd/yyyy). If you have not received your refund within 30 days of this date, call 518-457-5149.
The best way to communicate with the Tax Department about your return is to open an Online Services account and request electronic communications for both Bills and Related Notices and Other Notifications. To ensure that you receive future communications in the Message Center of your Online Services Account Summary homepage, create your account now, before filing your next return.
Log in or create an account
Once you've logged in to your Online Services account:
- Select your name in the upper right-hand corner of your Account Summary homepage.
- Select Preferences, then select Electronic communications from the expanded menu.
- Choose the Electronic notification options you want to receive email about. To receive a notification when your refund is issued and other electronic communications about your income tax refund, select both options.
- Read the Acknowledgement section.
- Select Save.