Filing season resource center
Sign up to receive Tax Tips for Individuals.
Unemployment compensation recipients
To learn about New York State's tax treatment of unemployment compensation, see our FAQ on unemployment compensation.
Request electronic communications from the department
The best way to communicate with the Tax Department about your return is to create an Online Services account and request electronic communications for both Bills and Related Notices and Other Notifications.
- Log in to (or create) your Individual Online Services account.
- Select your name in the upper-right corner of your Account Summary homepage.
- Select Preferences, then choose Electronic communications from the expanded menu.
- On the Electronic Communications page, check the boxes next to Bills and Related Notices and Other Notifications.
E-file your return
With Free File, there are more reasons than ever to e-file!
- Free File your return
- Choose another filing option
- Apply for an extension
- Change or amend a filed return
- Verify your tax preparer
Find free assistance
Our Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) program helps you find the free e-file software that’s right for you. Use our online resources from home to assist you with preparing and electronically filing your federal and New York State returns.
Check your refund
Follow the progress of your refund online or with our automated phone system (518-457-5149)—24/7!
- Check your refund status
- Sign up for refund notifications
- Find answers to refund questions
- Learn why your refund was adjusted
- Get a replacement check
Find property tax check information
Respond to a letter
If you receive a request for more information, your refund will take longer to process. However, you can respond to most letters online, quickly and easily.
See Respond to your letter and follow the steps outlined to resolve your letter as quickly as possible.