Get ready to e-file your income tax return
Sign up to receive Tax Tips for Individuals.
You can use your own computer, tablet, or mobile device to prepare and electronically file your income tax returns whenever and wherever you want using the same free tax preparation software we use at our FSA sites.
Not sure where to begin? Take a look at our videos which will explain:
- About New York State Free File
- Free File – What You Need to Get Started
- Free File – Choosing the Right Software Product
- Free File – Using the Software
To get started, see Free File your income tax return.
Important: No matter which product you choose, please read the qualifying criteria carefully before you get started. Free software may be limited to basic returns and may not be available for self-employment income, capital gains or losses, or rental income. If you are not eligible for a free filing option for the software provider you choose, the software provider may charge you a fee.
Review the checklist below to ensure that have everything you need before you begin; and watch the videos we offer to assist you.
What you'll need
- an active email account (enables you to keep track of the status of your return)
- a copy of last year’s tax return or your prior year federal adjusted gross income (FAGI)
- a driver license or state-issued non-driver ID (for you and your spouse, if filing jointly)
- birth dates and Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and your dependents
- proof of income (wages, interest and dividend statements):
- Forms W-2, 1098, 1099
- any other documents showing additional income
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C, Affordable Healthcare Statement
- information related to any credits you’re claiming
- your banking information (the account number and the routing number for your bank, which you can find on a blank check)
- NY529 College Saving Account information (if requesting refund to be distributed)