A MESSAGE FROM ACTING COMMISSIONER AND GENERAL COUNSEL Amanda Hiller
At the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, we are constantly working to improve the taxpayer experience. We want the taxpayer experience to be as simple, logical, and equitable as possible. To advance this goal, all of our operational units are engaged in ongoing evaluation of how we interact with the public and, based upon feedback from our customers, we’re improving continuously at Team Tax.
Our official communications are clearer and more concise. We are expanding our Free File and Taxpayer Assistance programs. We’ve enhanced the Office of the Taxpayer Rights Advocate. And we maintain one of the nation’s best call centers staffed by tax professionals ready to assist you with any questions about filing matters.
At this website, you’ll learn about these and other initiatives designed to provide the very best in tax administration for the people of New York.
To efficiently collect tax revenues in support of State services and programs while acting with integrity and fairness in the administration of the tax laws of New York State.
Our department administers more than 45 state and local taxes and fees, including more than $20 billion in local sales tax and $16 billion in local income tax. In regard to real property taxes, the department works directly with more than 1,000 local governments; in 2021, it oversaw the administration of more than $68 billion in local property taxes. To explore, search, download, and share data about the taxes we administer, see Tax data.
A key department focus is the balance of efforts to promote voluntary compliance—the cornerstone of the State's system of taxation—with the duty to enforce New York's tax laws. More than 96 percent of the taxes collected are remitted voluntarily by taxpayers. The remaining 4 percent is a result of the department's enforcement programs—audit, collections, and criminal investigations.
The department is also responsible for the administration of the State's treasury. The Division of the Treasury receives and disburses State funds, and serves as a custodian of special funds. The division is also a joint custodian of State securities with the State Comptroller.
Through agreements with other State agencies, the department collects additional revenues on behalf of individuals and the State, as well as assisting with fraud detection. Examples of joint measures include enforcing the collection of delinquent child support payments and identifying fraud regarding public assistance and unemployment insurance benefits.
Learn about the Tax Department
The leadership team at the Department of Taxation and Finance works with the governor and the executive branch to oversee New York’s revenue system.
Department employees are dedicated to public service and have many opportunities for personal and professional growth.
The department provides information on current and archived bid opportunities, as well as submission guidelines, disclosure requirements, and procurement lobbying requirements.
Regulations and regulatory actions
The official compilation of the Department of Taxation and Finance regulations is contained in Title 20 of the Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York (20 NYCRR). For a summary of the department’s rule making actions from 2001 to present, proposals and adoptions by tax type, and more, see our webpage.
Division of Treasury
The Division of Treasury is joint custodian of the state's general checking account with the Office of the State Comptroller, managing over $300 billion in annual transactions.
Project Sunlight is an online database that provides New Yorkers with information about individuals and entities who interact with New York State government decision-makers.
The department has won more than 25 awards since 2011, including Public Service Excellence awards for both teams and individuals at the department.
Our organizational chart provides a clear-cut overview of the department’s divisions and leadership roles.
The department publishes strategic metrics, posted on a quarterly basis, that support our goal of promoting government transparency and accountability to taxpayers.
The Tax Department is committed to engaging with taxpayers in ways that improve the taxpayer experience and enhance public access to tax guidance and other resources.