Real property transfer information
I’m a property buyer, seller, or real estate professional
Learn how to download and file Form RP-5217-PDF, Real Property Transfer Report. You’ll also find information about the STAR Program and property tax exemptions.
I'm a local assessment official
In addition to Form RP-5217-PDF, find instructions and forms for sales reporting and corrections.
The SalesWeb application contains ten years of real property transfer data in New York State, excluding New York City. Real property transfer data for New York City is available within NYC’s Automated City Register Information System (ACRIS). For more information, visit NYC Department of Finance
For county clerks
- Form RP-5217-Fee. The filing fee is generally $125 for residential and farm properties and $250 for all other properties. The county clerk's office collects the RP-5217 filing fee.
- The county clerk's office should be reviewing the RP-5217 forms for completeness, not for accuracy.
- The county clerk's office must contact ORPTS if there are any changes to the book or page filing scheme for documents in the county. Book and page are part of a unique identifier for local and state processes.
- The county clerk should distribute all RP-5217 forms from the preceding calendar month to the appropriate parties, on or before the 15th day of each month.
- Mail all batches of Form RP-5217 to:
WA HARRIMAN STATE CAMPUS
ORPTS - DATA MANAGEMENT UNIT
ALBANY NY 12227-0801
Additional information related to property sales
Other taxes you may need to pay
Real estate professionals: Get the handout for new homeowners!
Realtors and attorneys, as your clients purchase new homes, we encourage you to provide them with this printable one-page handout: Register for the School Tax Relief (STAR) credit.