Tax preparer registration
The 2018 Tax Preparer Registration application is now available. See How to register as a tax return preparer for step-by-step instructions on accessing and completing the application.
If you have not completed your required continuing education coursework (2018 Registration Education Requirements), you’ll need to complete it before you can register for 2018. See How to use SLMS: Enroll in a class to learn how.
You must register, or renew your registration, with the New York State Tax Department for every calendar year in which you:
- will be paid to prepare one or more New York State tax returns or reports; or
- will facilitate a refund anticipation loan (RAL) or refund anticipation check (RAC).
To determine if you are required to register, pay the registration fee, and take continuing education courses, please answer the question below.
Are you one of the following?
- CPA (certified public accountant)
- PA (public accountant)
- enrolled agent
- volunteer tax preparer
- employee of an attorney
- employee of a CPA
- employee of a PA
- employee of an enrolled agent
- employee of a business who prepares that business’ tax returns
- Who is a tax return preparer or facilitator
- How to register as a tax return preparer or facilitator
- Continuing education requirements for tax return preparers
- Publication 58, Information for Income Tax Return Preparers
- Tax preparer regulations
- Answer Center: Tax Preparer Registration
- Tax Law: