Tax preparer registration
The period to register as a tax return preparer for 2020 is over and the Web application is currently unavailable. The 2021 registration application and education requirements will become available mid-November 2020.
You must register, or renew your registration, with the New York State Tax Department for every calendar year in which you:
- will be paid to prepare one or more New York State tax returns or reports; or
- will facilitate a refund anticipation loan (RAL) or refund anticipation check (RAC).
Are you one of the following?
- CPA (certified public accountant)
- PA (public accountant)
- enrolled agent
- volunteer tax preparer
- employee of an attorney
- employee of a CPA
- employee of a PA
- employee of an enrolled agent
- employee of a business who only prepares the business’ tax returns
- Who is a tax return preparer or facilitator
- How to register as a tax return preparer or facilitator
- Continuing education requirements for tax return preparers
- Publication 58, Information for Income Tax Return Preparers
- Tax preparer regulations
- Answer Center: Tax Preparer Registration
- Tax Law: