Skip universal navigation

New York State Universal header

Skip to main content

Tax preparer registration

The 2018 Tax Return Preparer Registration web application will become available mid-November 2017. If you have not completed the class 2018 Registration Education Requirements, you’ll need to complete it before you can register for 2018.

Note: Beginning with 2018 registration, you'll no longer be able to use your Tax Professional Online Services account to register or enroll in continuing education coursework; you must use an Individual Online Services account. See How to register as a tax return preparer or facilitator for more information.

You must register, or renew your registration, with the New York State Tax Department for every calendar year in which you:

  • will be paid to prepare one or more New York State tax returns or reports; or
  • will facilitate a refund anticipation loan (RAL) or refund anticipation check (RAC).

To determine if you are required to register, pay the registration fee, and take continuing education courses, please answer the question below.

Are you one of the following?

  • attorney
  • CPA (certified public accountant)
  • PA (public accountant)
  • enrolled agent
  • volunteer tax preparer
  • employee of an attorney
  • employee of a CPA
  • employee of a PA
  • employee of an enrolled agent
  • employee of a business who prepares that business’ tax returns