Apply for an extension of time to file an income tax return
If you cannot file on time, you can request an automatic extension of time to file the following forms:
- Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return
- Form IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
- Form IT-203-GR, Group Return for Nonresident Partners, Note: Group agents must enter the special identification number assigned to the partnership (i.e., group ID 80081XXXX) in the Full Social Security number field.
- Form IT-204, Partnership Return
- Form IT-205, Fiduciary Income Tax Return
When to file
You must file your extension request on or before the filing deadline of your return.
|Filer||Return||2020 Filing Deadline for Calendar Year Filers||Length of Extension||Extended Due Date|
|Individual||Form IT-201, IT-203, or IT-203-GR||April 15, 2021||6 months||October 15, 2021|
|Partnership||Form IT-204||March 15, 2021||6 months||September 15, 2021|
|Fiduciaries||Form IT-205||April 15, 2021||5 1/2 months||September 30, 2021|
There are special filing deadlines in certain instances.
An extension request filed after the filing deadline for your return will be invalid.
How to request your extension
- You can complete your request for free using our online service.
- You must e-file your extension if you prepare your extension using software that supports e-file.
- If your paid preparer is required to e-file your tax return, and is also preparing your extension request, the preparer must e-file your extension request.
The online and e-file options provide you with a confirmation that we received your extension request.
Fiscal year filers should contact us to request an extension.
Payment of tax
You must make full payment of the properly estimated tax balance due when you request your extension of time to file.