Skip headers Skip navigation
Print DTF lockup

Apply for an extension of time to file an income tax return

New online extension application!

Our new application allows you to apply for an extension of time to file a return and make an extension payment within the same transaction.

When to file

If you cannot file on time, you can request an automatic extension of time to file.

Filer Return 2016 Filing Deadline for Calendar Year Filers Length of Extension Extended Due Date
Individual Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return or IT-203, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return April 18, 2017 6 months October 16, 2017
Partnership Form IT-204, Partnership Return March 15, 2017  New posting 6 months  New posting September 15, 2017
Fiduciaries Form IT-205, Fiduciary Income Tax Return April 18, 2017 5 1/2 months  New posting October 2, 2017

There are special filing deadlines in certain instances.

An extension request filed after the filing deadline for your return will be invalid.

How to request your extension

  • You can complete your request for free using our online service.
  • You must e-file your extension if you prepare your extension using software that supports e-file.
  • If your paid preparer is required to e-file your tax return, and is also preparing your extension request, the preparer must e-file your extension request.

The online and e-file options provide you with a confirmation that we received your extension request.

Fiscal year filers should contact us to request an extension.

Payment of tax

You must make full payment of the properly estimated tax balance due when you request your extension of time to file. 


Updated: February 16, 2017