Skip headers Skip navigation

Form 1099-G

You may view and print Form 1099-G, Statement for Recipients of State Income Tax Refunds directly from our Web site. We do not mail Form 1099-G.

The Tax Department will report your 1099-G information to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) if you:

  • had an overpayment from your New York State income tax return, and
  • itemized your deductions on your federal income tax return for that same tax year.

Your 1099-G amount

Your 1099-G amount reflects the amount of state and local taxes you overpaid through withholding or estimated tax payments. For most people, the amount shown on your 2014 Form 1099-G is the same as the 2013 New York State income tax refund you actually received.

The Tax Department does not report unemployment compensation to the IRS. To find that amount, including any taxes withheld, visit the New York State Department of Labor's Web site.

Reporting on your federal return

If you had an overpayment of New York State income tax or the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax, you may need to report it on your federal income tax return in the following year. To find out if you need to report this information on a 2014 federal income tax return, see the instructions for that return, or contact the IRS or a tax preparer.

Get Form 1099-G

Can't look it up online? Contact us.

If you do not have a Form 1099-G even though you received a refund or your 1099-G amount is different from your refund amount, see More information about 1099-G page.

Updated: July 31, 2015