Skip headers Skip navigation

More information about Form 1099-G

You may not have a Form 1099-G or the Form 1099-G amount may differ from your refund amount if all or part of your overpayment was:

  • credited to estimated tax for a later year
  • applied to a voluntary contribution or gift that you designated on your income tax return
  • applied to a tax debt owed to New York State, another state, or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS); or a debt owed to another state agency, like child support or past-due student loans
  • applied to an estimated tax penalty
  • applied to sales and use tax reported on your income tax return

The Form 1099-G amount may also differ because it doesn’t include:

  • certain refundable credits, such as the empire state child credit, real property tax credit, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, farmer’s school tax credit, and the New York City school tax credit
  • interest paid by New York State on an overpayment
Updated: December 26, 2014