Skip to main content
Department of Taxation and Finance

Driver license requirement for taxpayers

Beginning in 2016, if you use software to prepare your (and your spouse’s, if applicable) personal income tax return, New York State requires you to include your driver license or non-driver ID information on the return. This applies to both you and your spouse. You must enter the information each tax year as New York State does not allow the retention of driver license information by tax preparation software.

You must provide the following information from your (and your spouse’s, if applicable) driver license or non-driver ID:

  • the driver license or non-driver ID number;
  • the issuing state;
  • the issue date;
  • the expiration date; and
  • for tax years 2017 and forward—New York State-issued licenses and non-driver IDs only—the first three characters of the document number.

This requirement applies to driver licenses or non-driver IDs from any state.

If you or your spouse do not have a driver license or non-driver ID, you can indicate that within the software to fulfill this requirement.

IDs and documents

What we accept

We accept information from your most recent driver license or non-driver ID. The ID can be active or expired. If your ID is expiring, we will accept the return.

How to locate ID and document numbers

The document numbers for New York State driver licenses and non-driver IDs consist of either 8 or 10 alphanumeric characters (we only accept the first three characters).

To view the standard placement of document numbers on New York State-issued licenses and IDs, visit the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles at Sample Photo Documents.

Why we want this information

We will use the driver license and non-driver ID information as verification to protect you from fraud and identity theft.


If you do not have your information at the time of filing, you may check the Did not provide ID box on the extension. However, when you subsequently e-file your return, you must include your driver license or non-driver ID information.


New York States requires you to provide this information for you and your spouse (if applicable).

If you don’t include your ID information

We use your ID information to help validate your identity; if we can’t validate you, your refund may be delayed.

If you have an out-of-state ID

As long as you are providing a valid out-of-state ID, you should not experience a processing delay.