Skip to main content
Department of Taxation and Finance

How to report your property tax credits

If you received a check for one or more of the following credits:

  • property tax relief credit
  • School Tax Relief (STAR) credit

you do not need to do anything on your New York State income tax return, unless you meet one of the following conditions.

  • You itemize your deductions
    Reduce your itemized deduction for real estate taxes paid by the amount of all of the property tax relief or STAR credits received during the tax year.
  • You are a Yonkers resident
    Be sure to answer Yes to question D2 on the front of your New York State return (IT-201 or IT-203) and enter the amount received in the space provided.

Use our Property Tax Credit Lookup to verify if you received a check.

If you receive a check for the property tax relief credit or the STAR credit, keep the check stub with your tax records. We will provide reporting information as we approach the income tax filing season.