Types of STAR
Whether you receive the STAR exemption or the credit, there are two types of STAR benefits:
- available for owner-occupied, primary residences where the resident owners' and their spouses’ income is less than $500,000
- based on the first $30,000 of the full value of a home
- provides an increased benefit for the primary residences of senior citizens (age 65 and older) with qualifying incomes ($86,300 or less for the 2019-2020 school year)
- based on the first $66,800 of the full value of a home for the 2018-2019 school year. (The exempt value for the 2019-2020 school year will be determined in October 2018.)
The STAR benefit applies only to school district taxes. It doesn’t apply to county, town or city taxes, except in the cities of New York, Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, and Syracuse. In those five cities, the exemption is applied partly to city taxes and partly to school taxes.
Note: Senior citizens receiving STAR may also be eligible for the senior citizens exemption. See Senior citizens exemption to learn more.
- Register for STAR
- STAR eligibility
- Questions and answers for homeowners
- STAR privacy notification
- Handout for new homeowners
- How to report your STAR credit