Register for the STAR credit
Important information for STAR exemption recipients
If your income is greater than $250,000 and less than or equal to $500,000
If you currently receive the Basic STAR exemption and your income is between $250,000 and $500,000, the program is changing for you. If eligible, you will now receive a check for the STAR credit instead of the reduction on your school tax bill.
If you receive a letter asking you to update your STAR registration (Form RP-425-RDM), follow the instructions below to use the online STAR Registration application.
If your income is $250,000 or less
If you currently receive the STAR exemption, you can choose to register for the STAR credit to receive a check instead; you may receive a greater benefit. To learn more, see STAR program.
Handout for new homeowners
Realtors and attorneys, as your clients purchase new homes, we encourage you to provide them with this printable one-page handout: Register for the School Tax Relief (STAR) credit.
If you’ve recently bought your home or you’ve never applied for the STAR benefit on your current home, you may be able to save hundreds of dollars each year. You only need to register for the STAR credit once, and you’ll continue to receive the annual benefit as long as you’re eligible. See the STAR program to learn more.
Already registered for the STAR credit? Unless there’s been a change in ownership, please do not register again. We’ll review your information every year and automatically send you a STAR credit check if you’re eligible.
Before you register
Before you start, have the following information at hand for reference. If you don’t have the necessary information, you won’t be able to save the registration to complete at a later time.
Note: You will be prompted to provide a Property key, but it is not required to complete the registration.
- names and Social Security numbers for all owners of the property and their spouses (you may be asked to enter this information more than once to show the relationships between owners)
- the primary residence of the owners and their spouses
- approximate date the owners purchased the property and the name of the sellers (this information is not required, but it can help us to smoothly process your registration)
- 2018 school tax bill, if the current owners received one (View examples.)
- address of any residential property owned in another state
- the legal name of the trust, if applicable
- 2017 federal or state income tax returns for all owners
If you were not required to file a 2017 income tax return, you will need the following additional information for all property owners:
- total wages, salaries, and tips;
- taxable interest income and dividends;
- unemployment compensation;
- total pensions and annuities;
- Social Security benefits; and
- other income.
After you register
- Print a copy of the confirmation page.
- Note your confirmation number. You’ll need it for verification purposes if you contact us later. If you provided your email address, we'll send you an email with your confirmation number.
If you are eligible, we will send your STAR credit check before your school tax bill is due.
Switching to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption?
Once your registration takes effect, you’ll receive a check for the STAR credit rather than a reduction on your school tax bill (the STAR exemption). To see if you’ll begin receiving the STAR credit this year or if the registration will not take effect until next year, see Deadline to switch to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption.
If you pay school taxes through a mortgage escrow account, you may wish to contact the mortgage lender or its agent to advise them that you have switched to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption.
In future years
You don’t need to register again in future years unless there has been a change in ownership of your home. When you register for the STAR credit, we will automatically review your application to determine whether you’re eligible for the Basic or Enhanced STAR credit. As long as you’re eligible, we will send you a check for the amount of your benefit.
If you receive a letter from us
If we need additional information to process your registration, or if our records indicate that you are not eligible for the credit, we will send you a letter. The letter will explain how to provide the requested information and how to respond if you disagree.
- Handout for new homeowners
- Property Tax Credit Lookup
- How to report your STAR credit
- STAR eligibility
- Types of STAR
- Questions and answers for homeowners
- STAR privacy notification