We need additional information before we can issue you a check for the STAR credit
If you received this letter (Form RP-425-RDM), our records indicate that your 2018 income exceeded $250,000 and, as a result, you are not eligible for a STAR exemption on your school tax bill in 2020. However, you are eligible to receive a check for the STAR credit from our department for 2020.
Follow the instructions below to update your STAR registration. If you have already updated your STAR registration after April 1 of this year, please disregard this letter. You do not need to update your STAR registration again.
What to do next
- Before you begin, have the following information available:
- names and Social Security numbers for all property owners and spouses
- approximate date the property was purchased and the names of the sellers
- your most recent school tax bill, if you received one
- address of any residential property owned in another state
- if the property is owned in a trust, the legal name of the trust
- 2017 federal or state income tax returns for all owners (If any owners were not required to file a 2017 income tax return, you will need to provide financial information for them.
- As you complete the registration:
- provide an email address to receive your confirmation by email, or
- save a copy of the confirmation webpage.
If you disagree with our determination that your 2017 income was greater than $250,000, send us:
- a copy of this letter,
- a brief letter of explanation, and
- supporting documentation.
Supporting documentation may include New York State or federal income tax returns for all owners and their spouses who reside at the property.
Fax or mail this information to us
NYS TAX DEPARTMENT
ORPTS STAR RESOLUTION UNIT – 425-RDNL-S
W A HARRIMAN CAMPUS
ALBANY NY 12227-0801
If not using U.S. Mail, see Publication 55, Designated Private Delivery Services.