Qualifications / Certifications
Persons in New York State who wish to become appointed Assessors, County Directors, and/or Real Property Appraisers must satisfy certain minimum qualification standards as specified by 20 NYCRR 8188. These persons must also become certified for these positions by completing a basic training program. Assessors in NYC must meet city Civil Service requirements prior to appointment.
Use the links above to review the qualification requirements.
Elected Assessors must meet residency and age requirements, and complete the basic certification requirements. In addition, elected assessors must be re-certified upon re-election.
Basic Certification Training Requirements
The basic certification training requirements are prescribed in 20 NYCRR §8188 Rules for Real Property Tax Administration. Programs for Assessors, NYC Assessors, County Directors of Real Property Tax, Real Property Appraisers (RPA), and Candidates for Assessor.
- Sole Appointed Assessor Appointment and Certification Information
- 2011 Report on Effectiveness of State Technical and Financial Assistance Programs for Assessment Administration
- Municipal Options for More Efficient Assessment Administration
- Members of Elected Boards of Assessors - Training and Certification Requirements
- Towns Changing from Three Member Boards of Elected Assessors