Inventory of Public Education Tools, Forums and Personnel
Public Education Tools
- PowerPoint Presentations
- Public Relations Guidance for Assessors
- Learn about Assessments and Property Taxes Online
- enclosures in assessment notification mailings,
- handouts at public education sessions/board meetings,
- information for your town board/city council/county committee.
In addition, your website can include links to the brochures and you can make the pamphlets available in your office.
- How Estimates of Market Value are Determined for Residential Properties
- Reassessment Questions and Answers
Assessment Administration Pamphlets
- Municipal Options for More Efficient Assessment Administration
- The Job of the Assessor
- Certified County Directors of Real Property Tax Services
- How the Property Tax Works
- The Real Property Tax Cycle
- Property Tax Myths & Misunderstandings
- Understanding the Equalization Rate - A Guide for Property Owners
- Assessments vs. Taxes: What's the Difference? (single-sheet handout)
Videos can be used to educate taxpayers, as well as your fellow local officials. For presentation purposes, if you need the videos below on DVD, please contact ORPTS.
- About property taxes and assessments
- Contesting an assessment
- Is your assessment fair?
- Property tax exemptions
PowerPoint slide shows can be very helpful for explaining complex information to an audience. Charts, graphs and text can be displayed visually, which makes it is easier for your audience to understand the material. If a laptop computer and a projector are not available, the presentation can be printed and distributed to the audience.
While too large to be used in most mailings, booklets are similar to pamphlets in that they can be linked to from local web pages and distributed at meetings to taxpayers and local officials.
- Contesting Your Assessment in New York State
- Self Review Guide for Assessing Units (Guidelines for Effective Assessment Administration in New York State)
- Self Review Guide for Counties (Guidelines for Effective Assessment Administration in New York State)
- Level of Assessment Determination: An Owner's Manual for Maintaining Uniformity
- Understanding Assessments and Property Taxes (available from the NYS Assessors' Association)
- Public Relations Recommendations for Assessors
- Guidelines for Working with Reporters: An Assessor's Guide to Positive Press
- How to Conduct Public Education Sessions: A Guide for Assessors
- Working with Municipal Boards During Reassessments
- Press Release Templates
The individuals section of our Web site includes a section entitled Learn about assessments and property taxes for taxpayers. You can print off individual Web pages, or include this link on your local Web sites and publications.
If you have suggestions for additional public relations tools, personnel or opportunities, please send them to Geoff Gloak