State Board of Real Property Tax Services
Next meeting: Wednesday, July 29, 2020
The State Board of Real Property Tax Services holds its meetings in accordance with the Open Meetings Law. All meetings begin at 11:00 a.m.
The July 29 meeting will be held via teleconference as authorized by Executive Order 202.1 and various successor Orders. There will be no in-person attendance. To access the meeting, call the number below and enter the access code.
Phone number: 1-518-549-0500
Access code: 161 446 6214
On-demand webcasts: Watch archived Board meetings on demand.
Schedules, agendas, resolutions and approved minutes of the State Board:
The State Board's proceedings including schedules, agendas, and resolutions of meetings are compiled annually. For archived years back to 1978, please contact the State Board.
- RP-6085, Complaint on Tentative State Equalization Rate, Class Equalization Rates and/or Class Ratios
- RP-6085.1, Complaint on Tentative State Equalization Rate for Villages
- RP-7141, Complaint on Tentative Special Franchise Full Values
- RP-7142, Complaint on Tentative Special Franchise Assessments
- See: Whom to contact at ORPTS
- Phone: General taxpayer questions should be directed to 518-591-5233.
- Email: State Board
Who makes up the State Board of Real Property Tax Services?
The State Board of Real Property Tax Services is a separate and independent Board within the Department of Taxation and Finance. It is comprised of five members who are appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate. Of those five members appointed by the Governor, one member must be engaged in the commercial production for sale of agricultural crops, livestock and livestock products. The Board members' eight-year terms are staggered so that no two members' terms expire in the same year. The Board chair is designated by the Governor. State Board members serve without pay, but are reimbursed for necessary expenses while on State Board business. There are currently two vacancies on the State Board.
The Deputy Commissioner of the Office of Real Property Tax Services serves as the Secretary of the State Board of Real Property Tax Services and is the executive officer for the Board.
What does the State Board of Real Property Tax Services do?
Real Property Tax Law § 200-a outlines the Board's duties as:
- Determine final special franchise values and assessments, railroad ceilings and State equalization rates where a complaint is filed
- Hear and determine reviews relating to determinations made by county equalization agencies
- Hear and determine appeals from property owners who are dissatisfied with the Tax Department's final determination of eligibility for a STAR exemption.
Who is the State Board?
- Scott C. Becker, a resident of the city of Buffalo (Erie County), and Partner with Kavinoky Cook, LLP
- Samuel J. Casella, a resident of Canandaigua (Ontario County), and member of the New York State Advisory Council on Agriculture, Vice-Chairman of the Canandaigua Lake Watershed Agricultural Advisory Committee and former Supervisor of the Town of Canandaigua
- Matthew W. Rand, Chair, a resident of Clarkstown (Rockland County), and a Managing Partner of Better Homes and Gardens Rand Realty and Rand Commercial Services
See a photo of our current members