05/11/2020 Assessment Community Weekly
STAR Reports 1, 2, and 3 now available for all munis except New York City
The following three STAR reports are now available for municipalities with “late” assessment calendars:
- Enhanced STAR Eligibility Report (Report #1)
- Income Greater Than $250,000 Report (Report #2)
- Voluntary Exemption Removal Report – Initial (Report #3)
The reports were issued on April 14 for municipalities using the standard assessment calendar.
We will notify New York City when its reports are available in the upcoming days.
To access the reports and instructions, visit STAR Information for Local Officials.
2020 STAR Check Delivery Schedule
To help property owners understand when they can expect to receive a check for the STAR credit, we’ve published the 2020 STAR Check Delivery Schedule.
If a property owner is curious about the potential benefits of switching to the STAR credit, direct them to Why switch to the STAR credit from the STAR exemption.
We have begun making 2020 tentative and final equalization rates. As we have in the past, we will notify you when we determine the rates for your municipality.
We remind you of two equalization program changes that first took effect last year:
If ORPTS confirms the Level of Assessment (LOA), it will establish the LOA as the final equalization rate. No tentative rate will be established.
- If ORPTS does not confirm the assessor’s LOA, the assessor is required to provide notice in writing to the local governing body of any affected town, city, village, county and school district. Such notice shall be made within ten days of the receipt of the tentative equalization rate, or within ten days of the filing of the tentative assessment roll, whichever is later, and shall provide the difference in the indicated total full value estimates of the locally stated level of assessment and the tentative equalization rate for the taxable property within each affected town, city, village, county and school district, where applicable.
If you have questions, contact your ORPTS Customer Service Liaison.
Reminder: mobile home and co-op spreadsheets
If you have not yet submitted your mobile home and/or co-op spreadsheets to orpts.MHCoop@tax.ny.gov and the school districts in your municipality issue school tax bills between June 1 and September 30, please do so promptly. Visit Send the mobile home and co-op spreadsheets to the Tax Department for the details and complete instructions.
New Judicial cases:
- Matter of Vil. of Kiryas Joel v Assessor of Town of Woodbury
- Town of Hempstead v AJM Capital II, LLC
- SLIC Network Solutions, Inc. v. Department of Taxation and Finance