Assessor's Manual, Volume 4, Exemption Administration
Section 4.03 - ECL Section 15-2309
River Improvement Districts
Exemption code(s): 13820 Year originally enacted: 1972
|Related statutes:||RPTL §404(1)|
Summary: Real property that is owned by a river improvement district is wholly exempt from taxation, but is liable for special ad valorem levies and special assessments. Reservoir projects in a forest preserve that require state-owned and private lands as described in ECL §15-2317 become the property of the state and thus are exempt under RPTL §404(1) (see the Exemption Profile for that statute).
- Eligibility requirements:
- Ownership requirements: Property must be owned by a river improvement district.
- Property location requirements: None.
- Property use requirements: Property must be used in a project that undertakes to improve the channel, to construct dikes, or to regulate the flow of a river for the protection of life, property, and the public health or welfare from damage by floods.
- Certification by state or local government: None required.
- Required construction start date or other time requirement: None.
- Local option: No.
- Limitation on exemption:
Limitation on exemption General Municipal Taxes School District Taxes Special Ad Valorem Tax Special Assessments 1. Amount No limit No limit No exemption allowed No exemption allowed 2. Duration No limit No limit No exemption allowed No exemption allowed 3. Taxing Jurisdiction a. County or County Special Districts Ex NA Tax Tax b. City Ex NA NA Tax c. Town or Town Special District Ex NA Tax Tax d. Village Ex NA NA Tax e. School District NA Ex NA NA Ex-exempt Tax-Taxable NA-Not Applicable
- Payments in lieu of taxes: None required.
- Calculation of exemption:
- General municipal and school district taxes: 100% of assessed value.
- Special Ad Valorem Levies and special assessments: No exemption allowed.
- Coding of exemption on assessment roll:
Coding of exemption on assessment roll Code Description of Alternative Codes Possible 13820
Assessment roll section(s): Exempt (ARLM § 8).
Note: This code should not be used to identify (1) property that is owned by a special district and is exempt under RPTL §410 or §410-a, (2) reservoir property that has become the property of the state under ECL §15-2317 and is therefore exempt under RPTL §404(1), or (3) property that is exempt under any of the statutes listed under Similar Exemptions below. For coding of such property, see the Exemption Profile for the statute that applies.
- Filing requirements (owner or occupant of property): None.
- Reporting requirements (assessor): None.
- Similar exemptions:
Similar exemptions Subject Statute Drainage improvement districts ECL §15-1909(4) Municipal corporations (flood control and soil
RPTL §406(2) River regulating districts ECL §15-2115 Special districts (property within district boundaries) RPTL §410 Special districts (property outside district boundaries -
sewage disposal and water facilities)
Please send general questions or comments to ORPTS.