Skip headers Skip navigation

Article 9-A – Franchise tax on general business corporations

The information on this page should not be relied on for tax years that first begin on or after January 1, 2015 as corporate tax reform significantly altered the Article 9-A tax for such tax years.

You must file and pay the franchise tax on general business corporations if:

  • you are a domestic corporation (incorporated in New York State); or
  • you are a foreign corporation (incorporated outside New York State) or a foreign corporate partner (general or limited) that does business, employs capital, owns or leases property, or maintains an office in New York State.

Calculating the tax

Highest tax based on four bases   Subsidiary capital tax   MTA surcharge
+ Subsidiary capital tax
(if you have subsidiaries)
+ Metropolitan transportation business tax (MTA surcharge) if applicable

Tax credits

You may qualify to claim certain tax credits to reduce your New York State tax liability. 

Paying estimated tax

If your corporation reasonably expects to owe more than $1,000 in franchise tax after credits, you must file estimated tax forms (Form CT-400, Estimated Tax for Corporations) and make quarterly payments of all estimated tax due. Most general business corporations are mandated to e-file the estimated tax.

When to file 

Type of filer Due date
Calendar year On or before March 15
Fiscal year Within 2 ½ months after end of reporting period

If your due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, you may file your return on or before the next business day.

How to file and pay

If you cannot meet the filing deadline

If you cannot meet the filing deadline, you may request a six-month extension of time by filing Form CT-5, Request for Six-Month Extension to File, and paying your properly estimated franchise tax and MTA surcharge on or before the due date of the return.  Most general business corporations are mandated to e-file the extension.

For more information see:

Updated: February 05, 2016