Skip universal navigation
Skip to main content

Department of Taxation and Finance

Form DTF-17, Application for a Sales Tax Certificate of Authority

Apply through the NY License Center

The NYS License Center is the State's official licensing portal where New Yorkers can apply for and manage their licenses.

What you will need

Reminder: If you are a tax professional, you cannot apply for a Certificate of Authority on behalf of your client. A responsible person of the business must apply and certify the application on behalf of the business.

How to apply

To apply for a Certificate of Authority:

  • Visit the NYS License Center website
  • Select the Business link on top of the page
  • Log in or create an account
  • Select Apply now for a new license or permit
  • Search for Application for a Certificate of Authority