Skip to main content
Department of Taxation and Finance

Tax Professional Newsletter (05/22/2019)

Tax season is wrapping up and we’re featuring ways you can assist your clients when they receive communication from us.

Direct them to online resources that help explain the communication they received

Every communication the department sends has a form number. Your client can search most common form numbers on our website to obtain additional information about the letter. The form number is on the bottom left corner of every letter.
For example:

  • DTF-973.XX: A request for additional information or an audit letter (See Respond to your letter for sample letters and checklists for responding completely.)
  • DTF-966: An assessment (See Quick Pay—for individual clients only—and Make a payment to pay online.)
  • DTF-160: Account adjustment notice (See My refund was adjusted for general information.)

Advocate for your client if they disagree with the notice they received

We offer a variety of online resources that help taxpayers understand their rights and responsibilities.

Add your client to your Tax Professional account

When your client is added to your Tax Professional Online Services account, you will have immediate access to perform services on their behalf. You can view copies of their bills and notices electronically, sometimes prior to when your client would receive them in the mail.
See Online Services for Tax Professionals for more information.

Pay your bill or notice online

  • Quick Pay: Your client can pay a tax bill or balance due faster and more easily using Quick Pay (for individuals only). This allows your client to pay directly from a bank account for free (no Online Services account needed).

  • Online Services: You can pay a bill or notice for your client using your Online Services account. If your client has authorized you to use Online Services on their behalf, you can pay from their bank account for free, or pay with a credit or debit card for a fee.

Set up an installment payment agreement or request an extension to pay

If your client is unable to pay their tax bill in full within 60 days, they may qualify for an installment payment agreement (IPA). Once your client receives a bill, you can set up an IPA through Online Services. If your client can pay their balance within 60 days, you can request a one-time extension.
For additional information, see Request an Installment Payment Agreement.

Help your client make necessary changes to avoid penalty and interest next year

  • Review and recommend additional estimated tax payments for your self-employed clients who under withheld this year.
  • Review your client’s Form IT-2104, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate, to be sure they are claiming the allowances they are entitled to and to adjust withholding if they owed New York State tax this year.
  • Direct your client to the recordkeeping guidance on our website to be sure they have what they need for next year’s taxes if we ask for additional information.

Keep up with tax changes

The Tax Professional Newsletter is a monthly summary of recent changes and new information. To receive updates as we announce them, subscribe to new tax topics as we add them to our Subscription Service. We’ll share links to new resources, and tax tips as they become available.

Upcoming due dates


  • New York C corporation and New York S corporation estimated tax payments due for calendar year filers
  • personal income tax (and MCTMT if applicable) estimated tax payments
  • partnership and LLC estimated tax payments due (NYS and MCTMT if applicable) (for payments required to be made on behalf of nonresident partners and members and C corporations)
  • S corporation estimated tax payments due (for payments required to be made on behalf of nonresident shareholders)


  • sales tax return due for quarterly filers
  • sales tax return due for monthly filers

Visit View demos and videos to watch our demos and to learn more about our online services.

Resource center: Tax professionals