Restaurant return-to-work tax credit (for 2021 tax years)
Who is eligible?
You are entitled to this refundable credit if your small business:
- is a New York State restaurant that suffered economic harm as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and
- has demonstrated a net employee increase, and
- applied for and received a certificate of tax credit from Empire State Development (ESD). For additional information, visit Empire State Development: Restaurant Return-To-Work Tax Credit.
How much is the credit?
The restaurant return-to-work (RRTW) credit is $5,000 for each full-time equivalent employee increase over the employment level of a defined period. The maximum amount of the credit is $50,000 per business.
How do I claim the credit?
Using the information from your RRTW certificate of tax credit, complete either Form IT-655 or CT-655, Restaurant Return-to-Work Credit, and file it with your 2021 tax return.
Note: If you received your RRTW credit as an advanced payment, you must reconcile your advance payment when filing your 2021 return.
- Form CT-655, Restaurant Return-to- Work Credit (for corporations)
- Form IT-655, Restaurant Return-to- Work Credit (for all others)