Real property tax credit
- Free interpretation
Who is eligible?
You are entitled to this refundable credit if:
- your household gross income is $18,000 or less;
- you occupied the same New York residence for six months or more;
- you were a New York State resident for the entire tax year;
- you could not be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's federal income tax return;
- your residence was not completely exempted from real property taxes;
- the current market value of all real property you owned, such as houses, garages, and land, was $85,000 or less; and
- you meet all the conditions listed under either Homeowners or Renters below.
- You or your spouse paid real property taxes.
- Any rent you received for nonresidential use of your residence was 20% or less of the total rent you received.
- You or a member of your household paid rent for your residence.
- The average monthly rent you and other members of your household paid was $450 or less, not counting charges for heat, gas, electricity, furnishings, or board.
How much is the credit?
- If all members of your household are under 65, the credit can be as much as $75.
- If at least one member of your household is 65 or older, the credit can be as much as $375.
- If your credit is more than the taxes you owe, you can claim a refund.
For additional information, see instructions.
How to claim the credit
- If you file a New York State personal income tax return, complete Form IT-214, Claim for Real Property Tax Credit, and submit it with your return.
- If you are not required to file a New York State income tax return, but you qualify for this credit, just complete and file Form IT-214 to claim a refund of the credit.
How do I claim the credit for past years?
You can receive a refund for past years if you claim the credit by the dates below. Complete and file Form IT-214 (for the year or years that you were eligible) as soon as you can, but before these dates.
|Year||Last date to file|
|2019||July 17, 2023|
|2020||May 17, 2024|
|2021||April 15, 2025|
- Form IT-214, Claim for Real Property Tax Credit, and its instructions.