Hire a veteran credit
Who is eligible?
You are entitled to this nonrefundable credit if you or your business:
- hires a qualified veteran who begins his or her employment on or after January 1, 2014, but before January 1, 2021; and
- employs the qualified veteran in New York State for one year or more for at least 35 hours each week.
You may claim the credit in the tax year in which the qualified veteran completes one year of employment with you. The credit may be claimed for tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2015, but before January 1, 2022.
|If the qualified veteran is||Amount of credit is equal to|
|Disabled||15% of the total wages paid to the veteran during his or her first full year of employment, but the credit cannot be more than $15,000 per veteran|
|Not disabled||10% of the total wages paid to the veteran during his or her first full year of employment, but the credit cannot be more than $5,000 per veteran|
To claim the credit, the employer must have the veteran certify that he or she meets the requirements of a qualified veteran on form DTF-75 (updated 11/20).
- Form DTF-75, Employee Affidavit for the Hire a Veteran Credit;
- Form CT-643, Hire a Veteran Credit, and its instructions (for corporations), or,
- Form IT-643, Hire a Veteran Credit, and its instructions (for all others).
- TSB-M-13(9)C,(8)I, Hire a Veteran Credit;
- TSB-M-16(8)C,(6)I, Summary of Changes to Existing Tax Credits Enacted as Part of the 2016-2017 New York State Budget;
- TSB-M-18(4)I, Summary of Personal Income Tax Changes Enacted in the 2018-2019 Budget Bill;
- TSB-M-18(3)C, Summary of Corporation Tax Changes Enacted In the 2018-2019 Budget Bill.