Employee Training Incentive Program (E-TIP) tax credit
Who is eligible?
You are entitled to this refundable credit if you or your business:
- is an approved participant in the E-TIP under Economic Development Law (EDL), Article 22; and
- received a certificate of tax credit from New York State Empire State Development (ESD).
The E-TIP provides a tax credit to New York State employers for:
- conducting eligible training or obtaining eligible training that upgrades, retrains, or improves the productivity of their employees, and
- approved internship programs that provide training in advanced technology, life sciences, software development, or clean energy.
You must submit a completed application to ESD, which administers the program, to participate in the program. For more information about the program and the application process, visit Empire State Development.
How much is the credit?
The credit is equal to 50% of the eligible training costs up to $10,000 (per employee), and 50% of the stipend paid to an intern up to $3,000 (per intern). The credit will be allowed for the tax year in which the eligible training is completed.
- Empire State Development's website
- Form CT-646, Employee Training Incentive Program Tax Credit, and its instructions (for corporations); or
- Form IT-646, Employee Training Incentive Program Tax Credit, and its instructions (for all others).
To learn about other New York State tax credits available to businesses, see Business incentives.