Employee Training Incentive Program (E-TIP) tax credit
Who is eligible?
You are entitled to this refundable credit if you or your business:
- is an approved participant in the E-TIP under Economic Development Law (EDL), Article 22; and
- received a certificate of tax credit from Empire State Development (ESD).
The E-TIP provides a tax credit to New York State employers for:
- conducting eligible training or obtaining eligible training that upgrades, retrains, or improves the productivity of their employees, and
- approved internship programs that provide training in advanced technology, life sciences, software development, or clean energy.
You must submit a completed application to ESD, which administers the program, to participate in the program. For more information about the program and the application process, visit Empire State Development: Employee Training Incentive Program.
How much is the credit?
The credit is equal to 50% of the eligible training costs up to $10,000 (per employee), and 50% of the stipend paid to an intern up to $3,000 (per intern). The credit will be allowed for the tax year in which the eligible training is completed.
- Form CT-646, Employee Training Incentive Program Tax Credit, and its instructions (for corporations)
- Form IT-646, Employee Training Incentive Program Tax Credit, and its instructions (for all others)
To learn about other New York State tax credits available to businesses, see Business incentives.