Child and dependent care credit (New York State)
You are entitled to this credit if you:
- Qualified to claim the federal child and dependent care credit (whether you claimed the federal credit or not).
For information on qualifying for the federal credit, see federal IRS Publication 503, Child and Dependent Care Expenses.
How much is the credit?
- The credit is a minimum of 20% and as much as 110% of the federal credit, depending on the amount of your New York State adjusted gross income.
Is the credit refundable?
- Full year residents - fully refundable
- Nonresidents - nonrefundable
- Part-year residents - partially refundable
After we review your tax return, we may ask you to prove that you are entitled to the credit. You will need the following information if you plan to claim the credit:
- Canceled checks or money orders
- Cash receipts received at the time of payment that can be verified by the department
To learn more about recordkeeping requirements, see DTF-216, Recordkeeping Suggestions for Child Care Expenses.
For additional information on claiming this credit, see: