Taxicab and Hail Vehicle Web File
If you are a medallion owner, an agent, or a hail base, you must file and pay your trip tax electronically through our website using your Online Services account.
You must file one return that includes trip information for:
- each individual medallion you own or represent (if you're a medallion owner or agent); or
- each hail license that you represent (if you're a hail base).
See Information on the taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax to learn more, including the due dates.
Filing for the first time?
Before you can start Web Filing, you must first register as a taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax filer with the Tax Department (hail vehicle owners do not have to register). If you do not register, you will be unable to file and pay your trip tax.
See Register for taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax for instructions.
How to file
- Register as a taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax filer with the Tax Department, if you haven’t already (see above).
- Log in or create a Business Online Services account.
- Once logged in, select the ≡ Services menu from the upper left-hand corner of your Account Summary homepage.
- Select Taxicab web file from the expanded menu (if you don't see Taxicab web file, you may not be registered).
Agents: Do not create a separate Online Services account for each medallion owner you represent. Instead, create an account using your agent ID and file one return that includes trip information for each medallion.
Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind before you get started:
- If you have multiple medallions, verify you pay for the correct one. Check with the Taxi Limousine Commission (TLC) to see for what medallion you owe tax.
- Print your filing confirmation for your records. We will also email confirmation directly to your Online Services account.
- Pay on time to avoid penalty and interest (or possible disciplinary action by TLC). You must pay the tax due directly from your bank account by direct debit. Be sure to have your bank account and routing number on hand when you Web File.
Important: Your bank account may have a debit block which will reject your withdrawal. Check with your bank before setting up the debit payment. See ACH Debit Block for more information.
- How to file an amended return (You’ll need to create an Business Online Services account if you don’t already have one.)
- Information on the taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax
- Register for taxicab and hail vehicle trip tax
- Checklist for acceptable proof of income and expenses for taxi, limousine, and self-employed drivers