Opening and maintaining a New York State segregated sales tax bank account
- Open a Segregated Sales Tax account
- Open a checking or savings account in a federally-insured bank or credit union located in New York State. You'll need to provide the Tax Department with your bank name and account number.
- Use this account only for collecting and remitting New York State sales and use tax.
- Since you will be making online payments to the Tax Department, you must notify the bank that the account cannot have a debit block.
- Deposit sales and use taxes
Once a week, you must deposit all the sales and use taxes you collect into your Segregated Sales Tax account.
- Create an Online Services account
- Because you're required to Web File your returns and make payments online, you must also have an Online Services account with the Tax Department.
- If you don't already have one, create an Online Services account.
- Make online payments
Once a week, you must pay the entire balance of the account to the Tax Department.
- Use your username and password to log in to your Online Services account.
- Select Sales tax - file and pay.
- Then select Sales tax Web File.
- Under Forms available for filing, use Form ST-330, New York State and Local Sales and Use Tax Advance Payment. Choose the filing period that goes with the payment you're making and click select.
- Be sure to make your online payment by Thursday of each week.
- File returns online
- Timely file the online version of the sales tax return you're required to file (monthly, quarterly, or annual).
- On your sales tax return, enter as prepayments all the online payments you made with Form ST-330.
- Send monthly bank statements to the Tax Department
Before the 15th of each month, mail or fax a copy of the previous month's bank statement for your Segregated Sales Tax bank account to the Tax Department.
- Be sure that your bank statement includes your business name and Taxpayer ID.
- Fax: (518) 435-8421
- Mail: NYS Tax Department
Segregated Account Unit
Building 8 Room 758
W A Harriman Campus
Albany, NY 12227