School district compliance with the property tax cap
Updated information on STAR and property tax relief credit checks
Note: The Property tax relief credit expired after 2019.
If you expect to receive a STAR credit check and have not yet received it, follow the steps below.
- Review your school property tax bill. (See examples.) If you received the STAR exemption on your bill, there is no further STAR or property tax relief benefit to receive this year. You are not eligible for the STAR credit in any year you receive a STAR exemption.
- See the STAR Check Delivery Schedule. If you did not receive the STAR exemption on your school tax bill, check the delivery schedule and follow any instructions provided.
To learn more about the STAR and former property tax relief credit programs? See our question and answer.
2019 School district compliance with the property tax cap
To be eligible for the property tax relief credit, you must:
- live in a school district that is complying with the New York State property tax cap,
- receive either the Basic or Enhanced STAR exemption or credit,
- have an income of $275,000 or less, and
- have paid school property taxes in 2019.
To confirm whether your school district complied with the property tax cap in 2019, select your county from the list below, then locate your school district.
My county name begins with:
- 40-St. Lawrence