Skip to main content

What if you owe money?

Payment options

  • The safest and easiest way to pay your bill is with an Electronic Funds Transfer directly from your bank to New York State. There is no fee for this service.
  • You can pay with a credit card, just be aware that the credit card company will charge you a convenience fee.
  • Use Quick Pay—for individuals only.
    • Ideal for individuals who typically have limited interaction with the department.
    • You can make a payment for an existing balance using bank account and routing number.
    • No Online Services account required.
  • You can mail in a check using Form IT-201-V, Payment Voucher for Income Tax Returns. You can use this form whether you e-filed or filed a paper return, just refer to the payment voucher for the correct mailing address.

What if I am unable to pay in full at this time?

If you're unable to pay your tax bills in full, you may qualify for an installment payment agreement (IPA). With an IPA, you'll make monthly payments toward your unpaid tax balance.

What you need to know:

  • You must have a bill before you can request an IPA .
  • The fastest and easiest way to review your bill—and request an IPA— is through your Online Services  account. (If you don't already have an account, you can easily create one.)
  • With Online Services, you can view your bills (and any notices we send you) sooner than you would by mail.
  • You can make your request online if the IPA is for a balance of $20,000 or less and requires no more than 36 scheduled monthly payments.
  • You can keep up to date with your IPA and make payments by visiting Get information regarding your existing IPA
  • The department may offset any money owed to you from a state or federal tax refund to either shorten the duration of your IPA or pay your balance in full.
  • You'll continue to accrue penalty and interest on any unpaid balance for the duration of your IPA. If you do not satisfy your full tax balance, or comply with the terms of your IPA, we may take collection action against you.

Continue to next page