Skip to main content

Have a problem with your preparer?

As mentioned in Module 1, Understanding your rights, if you're aware of a tax preparer who

  • has, or is, engaged in illegal or improper conduct, or
  • you have tried to resolve an issue with but cannot come to a resolution, believing your preparer violated New York State’s tax prepare regulations,

then you may file a tax preparer complaint. The Tax Department will review your complaint promptly. Where appropriate, we will take corrective action, which may include sanctions.

You can notify us:

  • online using our Tax Preparer Complaint service, or
  • by phone at 518-530-HELP (select option #2).

Continue to next page