Skip to main content

Refund information

While many of us hope to get a refund from our tax return, there a few things you should know before you file your return.

Refund options

There are two options for getting your refund:

  • Direct deposit: You can have your refund deposited directly into your checking or savings account. This is the fastest way to get your refund.
  • Paper check: The Tax Department will mail the refund check to the mailing address entered on the return. Paper checks for joint filers will be issued with both names and must be signed by both spouses.

Checking on your refund

Once you have filed your return and know you are due a refund, you can:

  • Check your refund status online at any time:
    • by phone at 518-457-5149 (Para español, oprima el dos.)
    • online using our Check your refund status application.
  • See Refund amount requested for troubleshooting tips or if you need help finding your requested refund amount. 
  • Learn more about your refund status. We've answered some of your most common questions about your refund status. See Understanding my refund status. Let us know what you think. 

Refund applied to your spouse's debt

When filing a joint return, if your spouse had a tax debt, it is common to have any refund be applied to that debt. To avoid having your refund applied to your spouse's debt, complete Form IT-280Nonobligated Spouse Allocation. Attach the original to your income tax return if you marked filing status 2 (married filing joint return) and do not want to apply your part of the refund to your spouse's debt because you are not liable for it.

If you did not file Form IT-280 with the original return, you can't file an amended return to disclaim your spouse's debt. However, we will notify you if we apply your refund to your spouse's debt. You will have 10 days from the date of notification to file Form IT-280.

Continue to next page