Skip to main content

Information you need to file

There are a lot of items you may need to gather before filing your return, but if you do this before you start, it can be easy to file. Sort this information into these categories:

Information about you and your family

  • email address
  • copy of last year’s tax return or your prior year federal adjusted gross income (FAGI)
  • driver license or state-issued non-driver ID (for you and your spouse, if filing jointly)
  • birth dates and Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and your dependents
  • your banking information (the account number and the routing number for your bank)
  • NY 529 College Saving Account information (if requesting refund to be distributed)
  • Forms 1095-A, B, or C, Affordable Healthcare Statement

Information about income received

  • wages: Form W-2
  • interest and dividend statements: Form 1099-INT, Form 1099-DIV, or bank statement
  • pension or other retirement income: Form 1099-R
  • Social Security income: Form SSA-1099
  • unemployment income: Form-1099-G. Note: A New York State Form 1099-G statement issued by the Tax Department does not include unemployment compensation. If you received unemployment compensation in 2021, including any income taxes withheld, log in to your Department of Labor account using your ID. Then, select Unemployment Services and View/Print your 1099-G.
  • any other documents showing additional income—different versions of 1099 exist for different types of income; statements, deposit slips 

Helpful tip: If you are receiving unemployment benefits, consider having tax withheld from these payments to avoid owing taxes when you file your federal and New York State income tax returns. New York State unemployment insurance benefits and any of the special unemployment compensation authorized under the Coronavirus Relief Act are considered taxable income. By law, the New York State Department of Labor must report these benefits to the IRS and to the New York State Tax Department.

Information related to any credits or deductions you’re claiming

Some of the items you may need:

  • statement from dependent care provider and canceled checks
  • college tuition statements and cancelled checks
  • receipts and invoices from medical expenses paid
  • receipts from property or school taxes paid on your home
  • rent receipts if you do not own your home

Some of the credits may ask for the information on your dependents that is listed on the documents you gathered in the Information about you and your family category as well.

Continue to next page