Respond to a letter requesting income information for STAR
If you received a letter (Form RP-5310-WSP, RP-5311-OWS, or RP-5311-RWS) asking you to provide your income information, the Tax Department needs more information to determine your eligibility for a STAR credit or an Enhanced STAR exemption. Eligibility for a 2024 STAR benefit is based on income from the 2022 tax year. For more information, see STAR eligibility.
Follow the instructions below to provide your income information using our secure online Income Worksheet application.
Note: If you did not receive a letter from the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance requesting your income information, do not complete the online Income Worksheet.
Before you begin
Gather the following information:
- names and Social Security numbers for all owners of the property and their spouses
- 2022 federal or state income tax returns for all owners
- the property key listed on the letter we sent you
If any owners or spouses were not required to file a 2022 income tax return, you will need the following additional information for those property owners:
- total wages, salaries, and tips
- taxable interest income and dividends
- unemployment compensation
- total pensions and annuities
- Social Security benefits
- taxable amount of total distributions from IRAs (individual retirement accounts and individual retirement annuities)
- other income
When you complete the worksheet
For your records, you’ll want proof that you provided your income information. Confirmation that you completed the Income Worksheet serves as proof. When you complete the worksheet, you should:
- provide an email address to receive your confirmation by email, or
- save a copy of the confirmation webpage.
After you complete the worksheet
If you’re eligible for:
- the STAR credit, we’ll send you a STAR credit check around the time that your school taxes are due; or
- the Enhanced STAR exemption, we’ll notify the assessor to include the exemption on your school tax bill.
Sign up for Tax Tips for Property Owners and we'll send you timely reminders and updates about property tax and exemptions you may qualify for.