Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions: Form RP-5217-PDF, Real Property Transfer Report

Note: The information below generally pertains to Form-RP-5217-PDF and, in New York City, Form RP-5217NYC.

Q1: What needs to be submitted with the deed at the county clerk's office?

A1: When filing a deed with the county clerk, you must file a completed Form RP-5217-PDF, Real Property Transfer Report, and the correct filing fee.

Q2: Where can I find the assessment information needed to complete Form RP-5217-PDF (lines 16-20)?

A2: To complete the Assessment Information section of the form, follow the step-by-step instructions on Form RP-5217-PDF-INS.

The required information must come from:

  • the latest tax bill at the time of sale or transfer, or
  • the latest final city or town assessment roll.

For line 20, when copying the tax map identifier from the assessment roll or a tax bill, ensure that you copy it exactly as it appears, including dots and dashes (for example, 087.77-1-22.2). However, the six-digit SWIS code (for example, 555689) is not part of the tax map identifier and you should not include it.

List only one tax map identifier per parcel on line 20. See the example below.

RP-52317-PDF Item 4

RP-52317-PDF Item 20

Q3: Is Form-RP-5217-PDF required for a name change on the deed?

A3: Form RP-5217-PDF is required whenever a deed is recorded with the county clerk's office. Form-RP-5217-PDF is required even if a property is not being sold and only the names are changing on the deed. Examples of non-sale transfers that require filing Form RP-5217-PDF, and paying the filing fee, include but are not limited to the following: 

  • marriage
  • divorce
  • death
  • foreclosure
  • conveyance of a life estate
  • transfer of privately owned streets in a subdivision to a municipality

Q4: Are there any real property transactions for which Form RP-5217-PDF is not required?

A4: You do not need to submit Form RP-5217-PDF for the following transfers:

  • purchase of individual cemetery plots
  • co-op transfers
  • rights-of-way
  • easements
  • sales of mineral rights
  • lease agreements
  • will preparation
  • license agreements
  • mortgage refinancing
  • tax sale certificates or option-to-buy 

Q5: If one of the owners of a property is deceased, should I still list their name as a seller on line 6 of Form RP-5217-PDF? 

A5: Yes. Type Deceased next to the name.

Q6: Do I need a lawyer to file Form RP-5217-PDF?

A6: No. You can file it yourself—along with the deed—at the county clerk’s office where the property is located.

Q7: Where can I find a copy of a previously filed Form RP-5217-PDF? 

A7: Contact the county clerk’s office where the property is located. For county clerk contact information, visit Municipal Profiles.

Q8: Where can I find details about my property at the time of purchase?

A8: Form RP-5217-PDF or RP-5217-NYC contains a great deal of information about property sales, including the selling price.

If the property sold in the past ten years and is located:

If the property sold more than ten years ago, contact the county clerk’s office where the property is located for information from Form RP-5217-PDF or RP-5217-NYC.

Q9: How can I correct errors on Form RP-5217-PDF?

A9: If you have not printed the final version of the form, you can make changes to the form on your computer. You should save the form to your computer each time you change it.

If you have printed the form but not submitted it to the county clerk, you can make up to five handwritten changes on the form itself. Please print clearly.

After you have filed the form with the county clerk, submit any corrections to the assessor of the municipality where the parcel is located. The assessor will report the corrections to our department.

Q10: Where can I direct additional questions?

A10: Email the Office of Real Property Tax Services Data Management Unit.