Skip to main content

Cold War veterans exemption: Overview

The Cold War veterans exemption is available on a veteran's primary residence. If you’re a veteran, see Eligibility requirements to learn whether you’re eligible.

Benefits include:

  • 10 or 15% reduction in assessed value (as adopted by the taxing jurisdiction)
  • additional reduction for  veterans who incur service-connected disabilities, equal to one-half of the service-connected disability rating Cold War period


  • Percentage-level benefits are subject to maximum dollar limits set by each taxing jurisdiction.
  • The exemption is limited to 10 years in duration unless the taxing jurisdiction has acted to make it indefinite; the disability exemption benefit portion has no time limit.

How to apply

To apply:

  1. Complete Form RP-458-b, Application for Cold War Veterans Exemption from Real Property Taxation. (For instructions see Form RP- 458-b-I, Instructions for Form RP-458-b Application for Cold War Veterans Exemption from Real Property Taxation.)
  2. File the form with your municipal assessor.

Annual exemption renewal is not necessary, except in instances where veteran's service-connected disability rating changes.

Required documentation

You must attach to your application either:

  1. Proof that you were discharged or released from service under honorable conditions (usually Form DD-214; see the complete listing of Acceptable Military Records for Veterans Property Tax Exemption) or
  2. A letter you received from the New York State Department of Veterans' Services (DVS) stating that you now meet the character of discharge criteria for all of the benefits and services listed in the Restoration of Honor Act.

You must also provide proof of the times and places served in active duty, if not already included on the documentation described above.

Submit U.S. Veterans Administration documents for service-connected disability rating to receive the disability benefits of the exemption.

If you need copies of service records or other information, you can contact the following as to how you should proceed:

  • your local office of the New York State Department of Veterans’ Services (listed in the telephone directory under New York State)
  • your County Veterans Service Agency, or
  • write to the Federal Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63132

If you are a veteran, or next of kin to a deceased veteran, you may contact the National Archives.  To order a copy of military records; for all others, make your request using Standard Form 180 (SF-180).  Also, submit deed of ownership of residence, or other proof that you and/or your spouse are the owners of the property.

You only need to apply once

There is no time limit on the duration of the exemption — once you file, you will continue to receive the exemption in future years.

If you move or your veteran's service-connected disability rating changes, you will need to file Form Form RP-458-b.

Application deadline

In most communities, the deadline for submitting exemption applications is March 1. However, the dates vary in some cities and counties. Please confirm the date with your assessor. You can visit Municipal Profiles to find contact information for your assessor.