Income tax information for paper software developers
Personal income, fiduciary, partnership and estate tax
Date: April 27, 2022
The Tax Department has three paper teams:
- 1D Test Team: Review forms that contain 1D barcodes. These forms are reviewed to make sure the replications are substantially identical to department forms.
- 2D Test Team: Review forms that contain 2D barcodes. These forms are reviewed to make sure the 2D barcode is formatted correctly and meets department 2D specifications.
- Forms Team: Review and provide information to vendors regarding form inquires and changes.
For most vendors, paper testing fulfills the print requirement for MeF testing. From page 10 of Publication 95, Modernized e-File (MeF) Guide for Software Developers for Tax Year 2021:
Ensure that your software supports the printing of the tax return and all supporting forms for New York State so that if the return cannot be e-filed, the filer can sign and mail the printed return to the Tax Department. For information about the printing of supportable forms, see Publication 75.
Publication 75, New York State Reproduction of Income Tax Forms: A Guide for Software Developers for Tax Year 2021, found here, is a guide for software developers. This guide provides the requirements and specifications for the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance’s paper testing.
Vendor approval process
Failure to complete 1D and 2D barcode testing may delay your electronic filing (MeF) approval. Also, substitute forms are not to be released until the tax department releases their version of the form to the public. This is considered the release date and any substitute forms filed by a taxpayer in advance of the release date will not be processed.
National Association of Computerized Tax Processors (NACTP)
To become a vendor you must obtain a vendor code. Please visit here for further information. Once obtained, contact the 1D Test Team via email to discuss product.
Submit Form TR-376-IT, Letter of Intent (LOI) to Develop Substitute Income Tax Forms.
Vendors interested in testing paper reproductions of department forms must submit a letter of intent (LOI). The paper LOI is available on the Forms Bulletin Board for Practitioners and Software Vendors. This area of the site is password protected. If you need access to it, contact the 1D Test Team via email.
Complete coversheet and submit forms for approval
Along with their submitted forms, developers should include a completed coversheet with each submission. The coversheets are available on the Forms Bulletin Board for Practitioners and Software Vendors. This area of the site is password protected. If you need access to it, contact the 1D Test Team via email.
Form TR-376.1-IT, Software Developer Forms Approval - 1D: vendors are required to fill out this coversheet for 1D testing.
Form TR-376.2-IT, Software Developer Forms Approval - 2D: vendors are required to fill out this coversheet for 2D testing.
- September 2022: Publication 75 release.
- September 2022: Letter of intent (LOI) release.
- September 2022: 1D testing begins after letter of intent release.
- November 2022: 2D testing begins once all tax forms and instructions are released.
- December 2022: No guarantee on 14 day turn around for testing.
- December 2022: Release date for form attachments.
- January 2023: Release date for most personal income tax main forms.
While we do our best to provide an uninterrupted experience, some services may be unavailable. Please check back here for any system issues or updates.
- Forms Bulletin Board for Practitioners and Software Vendors (select 1D Paper, below, to request access)
- 2D Testing documents
- State or province table
- School district codes
Email testing inquiries to:
If you have any questions or suggestions on the contents of this webpage, please email TSS.PIT.Forms.Review@tax.ny.gov.