Skip to main content
Department of Taxation and Finance

Alternative Veterans' Exemption - Overview

Eligibility requirements

The Alternative Veterans Exemption is available on a veteran's primary residence (includes cooperative apartments where jurisdiction adopts local option to exempt).


  • 15% reduction in assessed value to veterans who served during a time of war
  • additional 10% reduction in assessed value to veterans serving in combat zones (includes recipients of expeditionary medals)
  • additional reduction in assessed value to veterans who incur service-connected disabilities, equal to one-half of their service-connected disability ratings (regardless of whether such veterans served in combat zones)
  • percentage-level benefits are subject to maximum dollar limits set by each taxing jurisdiction

Application form

Use Form RP-458-a Application for alternative veterans exemption from real property taxation.

Instructions are also available.

File the form with your municipal assessor.

Required documentation

Proof of discharge under honorable conditions including and times and places served in active duty (usually form DD-214) must be attached to the exemption application. See the complete listing of Acceptable Military Records for Veterans' Property Tax Exemption.

Submit U.S. Veterans Administration documents for service-connected disability rating to receive disability benefits portion of exemption.

If you need copies of service records or other information, check with local office of the New York State Division of Veterans' Affairs (listed in the telephone directory under New York State) or your County Veterans'€™ Service Agency as to how you should proceed.

Also, you may write to the Federal Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63132.

If you are a veteran, or next of kin to a deceased veteran, you may contact the National Archives.  To order a copy of military records; for all others, make your request using Standard Form 180 (SF-180).  Also, submit deed of ownership of residence, or other proof that you and/or your spouse are the owners of the property.

You only need to apply once

There is no time limit on the duration of the exemption - once you file, you will continue to receive the exemption in future years.

If you move or your veterans service-connected disability rating changes, you will need to re-file Form RP-458-a.

Application deadline

In most communities, the deadline for submitting exemption applications is March 1.  However, the dates vary in some cities and counties.  Please confirm the date with your assessor.  You can find contact information for your assessor in our Municipal Profiles.