Special additional mortgage recording tax credit
Who is eligible?
You are entitled to this refundable credit if you or your business:
- paid special additional mortgage recording tax, other than on residential mortgages where the real property is in:
- Erie County, or
- the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD), which is comprised of the counties of New York, Bronx, Queens, Kings, Richmond, Dutchess, Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk, and Westchester.
How much is the credit?
- The amount of the credit is the qualifying special additional mortgage recording tax paid.
What are the recordkeeping requirements?
Taxpayers must prove entitlement to tax credits. During the course of an audit, you may be required to provide documentation to substantiate entitlement based on the specific facts of your tax credit claim. See Special additional mortgage recording tax credit recordkeeping requirements for more information on the recordkeeping requirements for this credit.
- Form CT-43, Claim for Special Additional Mortgage Recording Tax Credit, and its instructions (for corporations) or
- Form IT-256, Claim for Special Additional Mortgage Recording Tax Credit, and its instructions (for all others).
To learn about other New York State tax credits available to businesses, see Business incentives.