Empire State apprenticeship tax credit
You are entitled to this refundable credit if you or your business:
- is a qualified employer certified by the New York State Department of Labor (DOL) in the Empire State Apprenticeship Tax Credit (ESATC) Program, and
- received a Final Certificate of Tax Credit from the New York State DOL.
The ESATC Program provides a tax credit to certified New York State Registered Apprenticeship (RA) program sponsors for employing qualified apprentices.
You must submit a completed application to DOL, which administers the program, by December 31 each year to participate in the program. For more information about the program and the application process, visit ESATC Program.
How much is the credit?
The base credit is equal to:
|Year of apprenticeship||Credit amount per apprentice||Credit amount per disadvantaged youth apprentice|
If an apprentice has been trained in their trade by a mentor for the entirety of the calendar year, the base credit amounts in the above table will be increased by $500.
For additional information
- DOL: ESATC Program fact sheet.
- Form CT-650, Empire State Apprenticeship Tax Credit, and its instructions Form CT-650-I (for corporations); or
- Form IT-650, Empire State Apprenticeship Tax Credit, and its instructions Form IT-650-I (for all others).
To learn about other New York State tax credits available to businesses, see Business incentives.