Employers: metropolitan commuter transportation mobility tax (MCTMT)
The tax applies to you if:
- you are required to withhold New York State income tax from wages; and
- your payroll expense exceeds $312,500 in any calendar quarter
The tax does not apply to you if you are:
- an agency or instrumentality of the United States;
Note: For an employer to be an agency or instrumentality of the United States, there must be (1) a federal law specifically stating the employer is an agency or instrumentality of the United States, or (2) a decision in a federal court case which specifically states that the employer is an agency or instrumentality of the United States.
- the United Nations;
- an interstate agency or public corporation created pursuant to an agreement or compact with another state or Canada;
- a federally chartered credit union;
- a household employer on wages paid to household employees; or
- any eligible educational institution including;
- a public school district,
- Board of Cooperative Educations Services (BOCES),
- a public elementary or secondary school,
- a school that serves students with disabilities of school age as defined in Article 85 or 89 of the Education Law,
- a nonpublic elementary or secondary school that provides instruction in grade one or above, or
- all public library systems (as defined by section 272(1) of the Education Law) and all public and free association libraries (as defined by section 253(2) of the Education Law) beginning with the first quarter of 2016.
Calculating the tax
- Your MCTMT due is your payroll expense for all covered employees for each calendar quarter multiplied by applicable MCTMT rate from the table below.
|Payroll expense||MCTMT Rate|
|Over $312,500 but not over $375,000||.11% (.0011)|
|Over $375,000 but not over $437,500||.23% (.0023)|
|Over $437,500||.34% (.0034)|
Information for mandatory and voluntary PrompTax program participants who cannot calculate their quarterly payroll expense at the beginning of a calendar quarter see Employers participating in the PrompTax program
When to file and pay
You must file and pay for each calendar quarter as follows:
|January 1 to March 31||April 30|
|April 1 to June 30||July 31|
|July 1 to September 30||October 31|
|October 1 to December 31||January 31|
*When the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, you may file on the next business day.
- No extensions of time to file or pay the tax are allowed
- If you are not subject to the MCTMT for a quarter, you are not required to file a return for that quarter. However, if you become subject to the tax in a subsequent quarter, you must file a quarterly return and pay the tax due.
- If you have made any MCTMT payments during the quarter, or have an overpayment carried over from a previous quarter, you must file a quarterly return to request a refund (or credit to the next quarter if you anticipate owing MCTMT in that quarter).
How to file and pay
- File and pay online: Web File Form MTA-305, Employer's Quarterly Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax Return and pay directly from your bank account through our Online Services after a business account is created.
- File paper Form MTA-305, Employer's Quarterly Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax Return, and pay by check or money order.
- You can choose to make MCTMT payments using the PrompTax program if you currently are enrolled voluntarily in the PrompTax program to file New York State withholding tax. If you are required to participate in the PrompTax program for New York State withholding tax you must make your MCTMT payments using the PrompTax program. See employers participating in the PrompTax program for details.
For more information, see:
- Pub 420, Guide to the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Mobility Tax
- MCTMT forms and instructions
- MCTMT FAQs
- MCTMT TSB-Ms