Skip to main content

Form CMS-1-MN, Request for Conciliation Conference

If your notice states you have protest rights, you may challenge the notice by requesting a conciliation conference. If the notice doesn't indicate that you have protest rights, see Disagree with a bill or action for other options.

You must submit your request by the deadline provided on your notice. We cannot accept a request submitted after that deadline.

Submit your request online

The fastest and easiest way to request a conference is through our website.

  1. Log in or create an Online Services account.
  2. Select Respond to department notice under Services on the left-hand menu.
  3. Have your notice at hand and follow the prompts to complete your request.

LOG IN TO REQUEST  Create account

Note: You cannot respond online to certain notices. Refer to the notice you received for instructions.

Tax professionals: You can request a conference for your client through your Tax Professional Online Services account. Have your client complete and sign E-ZRep Form TR-2000, Tax Information Access and Transaction Authorization.

If you do not wish to respond online, complete Form CMS-1-MNRequest for Conciliation Conference and fax to 518-435-8554. If you prefer, you may mail or hand-deliver Form CMS-1-MN.

Note: Failure of technology or electronic communication, or unavailability of the facsimile will not release the requestor from timely filing of request as required by the Tax Law.

Conference locations

We hold conferences at department offices in:

  • Albany
  • Binghamton
  • Brooklyn
  • Buffalo
  • Kew Gardens
  • Rochester
  • Hauppauge
  • Syracuse
  • Westchester

Request an interpreter

If you need an interpreter, you can request one when you file your request for a conference. If you previously filed but did not request an interpreter, email the Bureau of Conciliation and Mediation Services at

What to expect throughout the conciliation conference process