Skip to main content
Department of Taxation and Finance

Claim refunds

  • You have the right to receive interest if you paid more tax than you owe (i.e., made an overpayment) and don't receive your refund by the legal deadline. The deadline varies by tax type.
  • If we discover, after an audit, assessment, or enforcement proceeding, that we owe you a refund, we must inform you so that you can apply for the refund or credit.

Refund offsets

Under certain circumstances, your New York State tax refund may:

  • be offset to pay your unpaid tax debt
  • be sent to another state agency to which you owe money. (That agency will notify you before applying your refund to your debt.)