Skip to main content

Identity theft affecting your tax records

What is identity theft

Identity theft occurs when someone obtains your personal or financial information and uses it fraudulently without your permission. Identity theft may be:

  • tax-related, such as when someone learns your social security number and uses it to file a tax return, or
  • nontax-related, such as when you have been identified as a victim in a data breach where your personal information has been compromised.

When you should report possible identity theft

Report any event or theft you believe may affect your current or future tax records. This includes:

  • all tax-related identity theft, and
  • any nontax-related identity theft or event involving a compromise of your personal or financial information.

How to recognize possible identity theft

The best way to recognize tax-related identity theft is to read thoroughly any notices you receive from the Tax Department and the IRS.

You may be a victim if you receive a notice indicating:

  • you owe tax for a year you did not file a tax return;
  • more than one tax return was filed using your social security number;
  • you received wages from an employer you do not know or work for; or
  • your refund request was denied because the refund was already claimed.

How to report possible identity theft

If you are a victim or potential victim of identity theft, please send us all of the following:

  1. Form DTF-275, Identity Theft Declaration;
  2. a statement explaining why you believe you're a victim of identity theft;
  3. a copy of the notice you received from our department (if you received one);
  4. a utility bill, lease agreement, or bank statement from the year in question to verify your address; and
  5. a photocopy of your government-issued ID, such as a driver's license, US passport, or US military ID card.

Get form DTF-275

You may fax or mail your documents to our identity verification unit, or call us with your concerns.

Phone: 518-457-5181



PO BOX 4128
BINGHAMTON NY 13902-4128

If not mailing by USPS, see Publication 55, Designated Private Delivery Services.

How we will protect you

After you contact us, we will review your complaint promptly and, where appropriate, take corrective action. We may:

  • remove any fraudulent returns from your record;
  • cancel any bills you were issued as a result of the fraud;
  • allow any refunds or overpayments due to you;
  • put an identity theft indicator on your tax account for three years; and
  • manually review any returns filed under your identification number for three years, which may cause a delay in the processing of your returns.

tips to prevent identity theft and fraud

More identity theft resources