Insurer of motor vehicles annual reporting requirement
To file, create an online services account (if haven't already done so).
This filing requirement applies to you if:
- you’re licensed to issue motor vehicle physical damage insurance or property damage insurance for motor vehicles registered in New York State; and
- you paid a vendor located in New York State to service or repair a motor vehicle on behalf of an insured individual or entity.
You need to tell us each filing period if you have no reportable transactions
After logging into your online services account, select Insurer Transaction Information and check the box that indicates that you have no reportable transactions. You may need to create an online services account if you don't already have one.
When to file
Filing periods and due dates
|Filing period||Return due date|
|March 1 – February 28 (29)||March 20|
What you must report on your return
You must report specific information, including the identity of, and payments you made to, vendors located in New York State for the service or repair of motor vehicles on behalf of your customers. For example, you must include each vendor’s name to whom you made a payment and the total amount paid during the period covered by the return. For a complete list of the information that you must report, see TSB-M-09(8)S, New Requirement for the Filing of Information Returns for Insurers of Motor Vehicles. You may also refer to our payment examples page.
How to file
- Download and complete the Excel spreadsheet.
- If you are using the MS Excel spreadsheet template provided by the Department, enter your data into the spreadsheet and select save as .CSV (comma delimited) file. Do not remove any existing text in the spreadsheet.
- If you are not using the MS Excel spreadsheet template, follow the column requirements stated in the file formatting document above. Create a data file with data only. Do not include the header row. Your data must be in a comma delimited format. If commas are contained within a column, surround the column with double quotes.
- Acceptable file extensions include .CSV (comma delimited), .TXT, or .DEL
- Create a business Online Services account (if you have not already done so). Once registered, login and select Annual Insurer Transaction Information, and follow the directions to upload your spreadsheet.
- You can submit a replacement spreadsheet if you’d like to correct an error in the original uploaded file. You must submit the replacement file before the filing deadline to avoid a penalty.
Vendor notification requirement
In addition to filing the information return, you’re required to provide a statement to each vendor that shows the information that you reported for that vendor on the information return. See page 2 of TSB-M-09(8)S for more information.
|Failure to provide the required information or true and correct information on your return||$500 penalty for 10 or fewer failures and a $50 penalty for each additional failure in excess of 10|
|Failure to notify each vendor about the statement you made on the information return about them|
|Failure to file the information return on time||$500 to $2000 penalty|
For more information
- See TSB-M-09(8)S, New Requirement for the Filing of Information Returns for Insurers of Motor Vehicles
- See TSB-M-09(8.1)S, Additional Guidance Relating to the New Requirement for the Filing of Information Returns for Insurers of Motor Vehicles
- Contact the Sales Tax Information Center