Video: The NYS earned income
You may be entitled to claim this credit if you:
How much is the credit?
- The credit is equal to 30% of your allowable federal earned income credit, reduced by the amount of any household credit.
Is the credit refundable?
- Full year residents - fully refundable
- Non residents - non refundable
- Part-year residents - partially refundable
Recordkeeping requirements for self-employed individuals
Be sure to maintain business records throughout the year for which you plan to claim the credit. This is because a taxpayer must prove "earned income" to claim the credit. You'll need the following information if you're self-employed:
- Books and records showing business income earned and business expenses paid each day. The records should contain enough information to correctly determine the tax year's gross receipts, business expenses, and the purchase price of assets and inventory.
- Documents that support entries in the books and records, including cash register receipts, bank statements, deposit slips, canceled checks, invoices, credit card sales slips, 1099-MISC, etc.
We will not pay the credit if you don't produce the records when requested.
To learn more about recordkeeping requirements, see DTF-215, Recordkeeping Suggestions for Self-employed Persons.
For additional information on claiming this credit, see: