Office of the New York State Taxpayer Rights Advocate
Having difficulty resolving a tax issue through regular channels at the Department of Taxation and Finance?
As an independent organization within the department, the Office of the New York State Taxpayer Rights Advocate is committed to helping New York State taxpayers by balancing taxpayer assistance against enforcement efforts. We'll listen to you, learn about your problems or concerns, and work with you in an effort to resolve them.
Our office is your voice within the department. We:
- Provide free and independent assistance to taxpayers.
- Assist taxpayers whose tax problems are causing undue economic harm.
- Help taxpayers who have been unable to resolve protracted tax problems through regular channels.
- Identify systemic problems, including those that compromise taxpayer rights or unduly burden taxpayers.
- Recommend administrative and legislative reforms.
Don't ignore a tax bill or your tax debt. That would be the worst thing you can do. Consider applying to the office for help.