There are three different property tax exemptions available to veterans who have served in the U. S. Armed Forces, including veterans who have served in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.
Obtaining a veterans' exemption is not automatic - If you're an eligible veteran, you must submit the initial exemption application form to your assessor. The deadline in most communities is March 1 - please confirm the date with your assessor. Proof of discharge under honorable conditions incuding and times and places served in active duty (usually form DD-214) must be attached to the exemption application. See the complete listing of Acceptable Military Records for Veterans' Property Tax Exemption.
Whichever exemption a Veteran chooses, it will apply only to to county, city, town, and village taxes; it does not apply to special district taxes. Beginning in 2014, school districts also have the option to offer the alternative veterans' exemption.
You can only receive one of the three exemptions listed below.
- Alternative Veterans' Exemption
- Available only on residential property of a Veteran who has served during a designated time of war, or who has received an expeditionary medal
- Currently available in over 95 percent of the county, city, town, and village taxing jurisdictions across the state. The remainder of these jurisdictions may choose to offer this exemption in the future. School districts also have the option to offer this exemption
- Veteran applicants should check with the assessor or clerk in the municipalities in which they respectively reside to see whether the alternative veterans' exemption is offered
- Authorized by Real Property Tax Law, section 458-a
- Cold War Veterans' Exemption
- Available only on residential property of a Veteran who served during the Cold War period
- Counties, cities, towns, and villages have the option to offer this exemption to qualified Veterans
- Check with your assessor or clerk to see whether the Cold war Veterans' exemption is offered
- Authorized by Real Property Tax Law, section 458-b
- Eligible Funds Exemption
- Provides a partial exemption
- Applies to property that a veteran or certain other designated person purchases. Such owners must purchase the property with pension, bonus or insurance monies